About Me

My photo
I don't make this stuff up

Sunday, January 9, 2011

I think I get it now

So collectively we all know certain kinds of people. Hippie's, conservatives, pill heads, douche bags, etc, and right.

And we all know about the site people of wal-mart right?

Well this blog has nothing to do with anything I just mentioned. The other day while out and about before I went in to work, I decided to go to Publix for lunch. I guess you could say Publix is to wal-mart as G.I. Joe is to Cobra.

And we all know people who only shop at Publix if the "Whole Foods" is not an option.

Anyway, I typically don't go to Publix for much because I like most people have a Kroger card and even though the discount is small it adds up and I actually like seeing my final price decrease, even if it is just a little.

At Publix you don't get that.

I remember one time I was at Publix in the produce section and while looking at whatever the fuck I was shopping for this chick in her late twenties early thirties starts up this whimsical conversation, and I just looked at her like

"What the FUCK do you think this is some kind of romantic comedy?"

At that point I knew this Publix shoppers were crazy. I am almost certain no one goes to wal-mart to pick up chicks. Kroger...well I don't shop early enough there to truly get a read on that, but only one of these female Publix shoppers would put themselves out there in the produce section to be picked up...

I'm digressing.

So I stop in for lunch, cause the deli is just as good as quizno's and cheaper to boot! I order the Publix daily special and I wanted to pay for it at the deli so I can eat it in the little section they have there for them, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't ring it up.

He said, "Just keep the box and pay for it at the register"

What?

You mean in this age of identity theft, credit card fraud, and face book stalking, I can go to Publix and post pay for a sandwich? Everywhere else in this town I live in requires you to pay for your purchase before you leave/eat them. So I enjoyed my sandwich and then did a quick walk through of the store because...well prettier people do shop at Publix.

So I get to the checkout line and there is this lady with a shit load of groceries and me with this empty box, now I am prepared to wait in line, but she lets me go ahead of her, which was nice of her, but all it did was put me behind another lady with another cart full of groceries.

I chuckled at the irony

Well that lady, either in a female’s innate sense of competition for men or mere consideration for others also allowed me to go ahead of her also. I was really thrown back. I mean have you seen the news lately? You really can't trust anyone.

As I walked to the car I pondered all that just transpired.

Paid for lunch after I ate it at a grocery deli

Was allowed to go in front of one lady

Was allowed to do it again in front of another lady

What is it with Publix?

Then I realized something.

People at Publix pride themselves on not being like people at wal-mart, and to be honest the difference price is not so high to where people that shop at Kroger and wal-mart could not afford it, just the people that do not want to shop at Kroger and wal-mart will pay for the convenience of not having to go there.

I think that has created this culture of politeness that is just not found at other stores. I mean I can’t speak for publixs elsewhere but the one in Carrollton is the only grocery store that does not have one of the self check-out kiosks that all the other grocery stores have. Instead there is this trust factor that the employee’s of the store have for customers because well…

They don’t look like they shop at wal-mart.

Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment